90% of Individuals With Substance Use Disorders Began Before Age 18
Education Is Key To Prevetion
Start Your Own Awareness Campaign!
Members of NCAPDA’s staff are available to counsel and support individuals or groups who want to heighten awareness of prescription drug abuse in their local communities. Following are specific steps you can take to build an awareness campaign in your own community.
Find and partner with other community members
Look for people who are concerned about prescription drug abuse/misuse. Consider meeting with school administrators, teachers, counselors, and parents of high school and middle school aged youth. Also look for places that interact with with at risk youth such a local non-profits and youth services.
Identify Existing Resources in your community
Look for existing resources in your community you can request support from, starting with these:
- Police Department
- Area medical and dental providers
- Agencies focused on Drug and Alcohol education and support
- Marriage and Family Counseling Centers specializing in substance abuse support
- Pain Management specialists
- Pharmacies serving as drop off centers for unused and expired prescription drugs
- Community service organizations, such as Rotary, Kiwanis and Soroptimist International
- Educators, from middle school through college
- City/town leaders and administrators
- Area political representatives
- Local business owners
- Local media, on-line, newspaper, radio and television
Network with those WHo are most supportive
Strategize about awareness campaign opportunities.